Exceptional Property, Fully Catered, Island Property, Pet Friendly €14,500 For Four Nights
Clare Island Lighthouse: Is sited on the most northerly point of the island, high on the cliffs. Built in 1806 by the Marquis of Sligo, the lighthouse did its duty for seven years until a fire, in September 1813, destroyed the lantern and part of the tower.
A temporary light was set up until a new tower and Keeper’s dwelling were built; the new lantern tower was built and commissioned toward the end of 1818. The cylindrical, masonry Lantern Tower is 118 metres (387 ft) tall and 11 metres (36 ft) across. The lighthouse is unique in that it’s the only two-towered lighthouse in Ireland. The Lighthouse was decommissioned in 1965, after 159 years of faithful service, because, ironically, it is so high on the cliffs it was often shrouded in mist! The current owner bought the property in 2008 & has sensitively and expertly renovated the buildings including the original lighthouse tower.
The Lighthouse has now re-established itself at the heart of Clare Island, providing modern guesthouse comfort and an old-style welcome – a safe-haven of an unusual and different kind. You will need to take a ferry from the mainland to the island, but all this will be arranged prior to your arrival, along with transport from the harbour in Clare Island to the Lighthouse.
The lighthouse is available for four nights each week, from Wednesday to Sunday. This is a catered property and breakfast and dinner are provided.
Some of the rooms are in the main building and some are separate.
Tower Suite – double with single day bed in sitting area – bathroom. Read More
Achill View Room – double – open fire. Read More
Cliff Room – Double – stove – separate building. Read More
Sauna Suite – Double – separate building – sauna – stove. Read more
William Landers – twin room – ensuite with bath. Read More
Sleeps 10 to 11 people with all rooms occupied. Pets welcome.
Included in Lighthouse:
- 4 course dinner served each night (dietary requirements can be taken into account in advance)
- Self service continental breakfast
- On site caretaker if there are any issues
- Use of kitchen for breakfast & lunch (must be left clean & ready for chef from 2pm each day)
- 4 nights stay from Wednesday to Sunday
- You can bring your own alcohol but a bottle of wine is included each night per room.
- Check in after 2.30pm, Check out 10.30
- 5 rooms sleeping Max 10/11
- Cot available
- Dressing gowns provided.
- The Lighthouse is located 6km from the pier, part of this road is quite rough. A vehicle can be transported to the island on the cargo ferry for just €80 if you wish. We would recommend a 4X4
- Pick up/Drop off at ferry on the island can be arranged
If you need even more space “Red Johns House” which is nearby and sleeps six in three bedrooms and may also be available. More Information Here
Please note your booking for this property is only provisional until you receive confirmation from our customer service team.