Exceptional Property, Island Property, Pet Friendly €1,550 Per Night - Great for Families, Large Property
Clare Island lighthouse – living …. on the edge of the world !
This unique rental is sited on the most northerly point of the island, high on the cliffs. Built in 1806 by the Marquis of Sligo, the lighthouse did its duty for seven years until a fire, in September 1813, destroyed the lantern and part of the tower.
A temporary light was set up until a new tower and Keeper’s dwelling were built; the new lantern tower was built and commissioned toward the end of 1818. The cylindrical, masonry Lantern Tower is 118 metres (387 ft) tall and 11 metres (36 ft) across. The lighthouse is unique in that it’s the only two-towered lighthouse in Ireland. The Lighthouse was decommissioned in 1965, after 159 years of faithful service, because, ironically, it is so high on the cliffs it was often shrouded in mist! The current owner bought the property in 2008 & has sensitively and expertly renovated the buildings including the original lighthouse tower.
The Lighthouse has now re-established itself at the heart of Clare Island, providing modern guesthouse comfort and an old-style welcome – a safe-haven of an unusual and different kind. You will need to take a ferry from the mainland to the island, but all this will be arranged prior to your arrival, along with transport from the harbour in Clare Island to the Lighthouse.
We are excited to announce that Clare Island Lighthouse is now available as an exclusive private rental between Easter to sept 2024. A once in a lifetime adventure for private groups of 2 – 14.
Points to note
- The lighthouse must be booked in its entirety, regardless of the size of your group.
- This is a self catering rate. However our chef is available for in house catering if required. Enquire for further information.
- Each bedroom is unique and en-suite. Three are situated in the main house and three in converted outbuildings a few steps from the house. They are as follows.
Tower Room – sleep in the original 1806 Tower! king sized bed in the tower itself plus a full sized day bed in the private sitting room downstairs. . Read More
Achill View Room –main house, original bedroom of the principal lighthouse keeper. Superking bed with panoramic sea views across the sea to Achill and beyond from your bed ! Read More
Cliff Corner – living on the edge ! Literally. Cliff edge location, king size bed, private access to cliff garden. Next stop America ! Read More
Sauna Suite –pure luxury, king sized bed with private sauna offering uninterrupted views across Clew Bay to Croagh Patrick. Read more
William Landers – spacious twin bedroom. Mini sea view. This room has the original roll back cast iron bath/ separate shower cubicle. Read More
Banshee Cottage – a small two room house en-suite with breathtaking views over the sea and across the fields.
Included in Lighthouse:
- Bookings go from either Tuesday – Thursday or Friday – Monday. Or 6 night stay Tuesday – Monday.
- On site caretaker if there are any issues
- Wine and local craft beer available to purchase from care taker.
- Check in after 3pm, Check out 11am
- 6 rooms sleeping Max 14
- Cot available
- WiFi throughout.
- Pet friendly at an extra cost
- Cleaning fee of €300 per booking
- The Lighthouse is located 6km from the pier, part of this road is quite rough. A vehicle can be transported to the island on the cargo ferry at an extra cost if you wish. We would recommend a 4X4
- Transfer to the Lighthouse from the Quay (6km) is by taxi
Please note your booking for this property is only provisional until you receive confirmation from our customer service team.
Prices are inclusive of towels, linen, toiletries, heat and electricity.
Kitchen essentials provided, please enquire.
€1000 security deposit.
25% deposit required to secure booking
Cancelled ferries due to adverse weather – in the event that you are unable to get to the island due to the cancellation of the ferry service, we will refund (minus booking fee)or defer your booking.