Keel River Lodge is ideal for the fishing enthusiast. We are in the middle of the Lake District overlooking Lough Carra. The lodge has its own private pier.
Lough Mask is only 1km away and Lough Corrib 10km. Full gillie service available. The owner is a Professional Angling Guide and provides a full angling service, including boat and engine hire. The Lodge is situated in an Angler’s Paradise with a plentiful supply of fishing locally.
This is a beautiful shallow lake with a white marl bottom. Recent studies show that it has a huge stock of wild brown trout. They are a beautiful silver/green colour. The main methods of fishing are wetfly, dryfly and dapping. Mayfly fishing starts as early as end of April and continues through May. There are also pike and perch which can be caught by trolling or spinning.
Larger than Lough Carra, it is deeper, more rugged and very scenic. The trout are darker with red spots. It fishes well from early April right through the summer.Mayfly fishing starts early May and continues to mid June. Ferox trout, which are huge (up to 20lb) can be caught by trolling lures. Big pike are in plentiful supply.
This lake is the biggest of our local waters. It is famous for its trout and salmon fishing. Dapping and flyfishing for trout and trolling for salmon and pike.
The Robe River, the Keel River and the Cong Canal provide great trout fishing locally. The Cong River at Ashford and the River Moy (1 hour drive) have excellent salmon fishing.
You may choose Ballinrobe as your leisurely, relaxing ‘away from it all’ holiday destination, but if you feel re-energised while you are here, you will find a host of activities for all levels of ability and fitness.
- Fishing – go to the top of the page for more information.
- Golf – Ballinrobe Golf Course is an excellent 18 hole Championship Course – one of the finest parkland golf courses in Ireland.
- Horse Riding, Pony Trekking, Hill-walking all available locally.
- Walking; We will show you some beautiful walks nearby.
- A 20 min drive to Westport will take you to the starting point of the 42km Great Western Greenway – the longest off-road walking/cycling trail in Ireland. You can walk or cycle part of, or all of, this traffic free trail which follows the route of the old Westport to Achill railway line, which closed in 1937.
- The Wild Atlantic Way, a 500km drive in Mayo, is a wonderful way of discovering the County’s key attractions of “beauty, infrastructure and people”.
- Shopping – Keel River Lodge is only 15 minutes drive from Castlebar, one of the premier shopping towns in the West of Ireland. Castlebar boasts many of the major stores, fashion shops, souvenir shops and much more. Galway is only 40 mins away.
Ballinrobe is a popular holiday destination and has many attractions for all age groups.
- Racing – We are 2km away from the famous Ballinrobe Racecourse which holds several race meetings from April to September.
- Beautiful Blue Flag beaches within half an hour drive.
- Restaurants – Ballinrobe and other nearby towns are well served to cater for all tastes.
- Irish Music – Provided in local pubs.
- Taxi service available locally.
- Ashford Castle Cong is just 12km away, the village where the the ‘Quiet Man’ film was shot.
- Knock Shrine and Ireland West Airport Knock – 40 minutes.
- Westport with all its attractions is just 20 minutes away.
- Galway City is just 40 minutes away.
- Ballintubber Abbey – wedding place of Pierce Brosnan is just 12km away.
- Clare Island, Achill Island and Connemara can all be reached on day trips.Back to property details